Saturday, 26 September 2020

Paradise Lost - The Last Time EP


I suppose I should write a wee introduction to this part of the party. Paradise Lost are an unusual choice of band for someone like me to enjoy. I’m not a fan of Doom/Death/Sludge Metal at all and I had steered clear of all such nonsense during the 90’s and early noughty’s, until about 2007 when I was working with a colleague who was constantly playing this Gothic Metal or Goth Rock noise as I called it. When this EP by Paradise Lost came on I was my usual dismissive self until their version of T’Sisters ‘’Walk Away’’ came on. Now yes, its T’Sisters meets Dark Metal during a long walk home in Leeds during a torrential rain storm. They have much in common but still so very far apart I thought. But no, it actually seems like the perfect blend for these two Leeds based behemoth bands, almost a decade apart, to create this bastardised offspring.
On the 8th May 1995, ‘’The Last Time’’ became the lead single for Paradise Lost’s fifth studio album ’’Draconian Times’’. Paradise Lost had matured both lyrically and musically from their Doom days and unbeknown at the time, DT found itself right in the middle of their journey, the perfect blend of sounds from their beginning and melodic moments that spilled over their horizons, and it is not without reason that DT has become one of their fan favourites. A slightly faster than fans were used to, “The Last Time” brought more rock elements to the table for Paradise Lost. It is a great opening salvo that showed Paradise Lost were playing music that they appreciated and wanted to listen to.

Ripped badly from the 25 year old 1995 CD EP to paltry MP3 @ 320kbps

Paradise Lost; The Last Time EP

1.       The Last Time
2.       Walk Away
3.       Laid To Waste
4.       Master Of Misrule


No comments:

Post a Comment