Monday, 9 February 2026

Area - White Canvas New Hope

Formed in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, Area borrowed the ethereal dream-pop sound of Britain's 4AD label while adding their own distinctively Midwestern touches, most notably the gentle vocals of frontwoman Lynn Canfield. Founded in 1986, the group's core included Canfield, guitarist Henry Frayne and multi-instrumentalist Steve Jones; they debuted later that year with White Canvas New Hope. Originally released in 1986 on cassette on Office Records of Champaign, Illinois the first two tracks were the first ever recorded by Area and appeared on an Office Records compilation initially. Over the course of the album, you can hear Area coming of age, setting the stage for their brilliant future development. You may be inclined to nod your head gently to this lighter-than-helium dream pop, with a bit too much of a New Age feel to it. It actually takes quite a bit of balls to play music this ethereal and wistful; it practically makes Slowdive sound like a bruising pub-rock band.

Ripped from the Projekt Archive digital release in MP3 @ 320kbps

Area; White Canvas New Hope

1.      Disappear Here
2.      The Blue Spark
3.      Crystal
4.      Michael Writes His Parents
5.      Copper
6.      A Fine And Still Line
7.      All About Money
8.      Parachute
9.      Sincerely Charlotte
10.   White Canvas New Hope
11.   Higher Than Heaven
12.   The And The (Bonus Track)
13.   Father’s Day (Bonus Track)
14.   Sweet Revenge (Bonus Track)
15.   This One (Bonus Track)

5 comments:

  1. You probably already have the 1988 album Radio Caroline
    as well I assume?

    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have it, may you please post The Perfect Dream by Area? I would greatly appreciate it. You have such great taste in music on this blog. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anon, thank you for asking so respectfuly. I have The Perfect Dream in MP3 format. I will post early next month.

      Delete
  3. I'll be looking forward to it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete