My first and only foray into Shriekback was the single
Nemesis. The Arch-Deviant 12” Mix retools their unexpected hit single with
mixed results. On the one hand, it blunts the song's attack with an extended
intro and plays up one of its weak points; the painfully shrill backing vocals.
On the other hand Barry Andrews not only uses the word
"parthenogenesis," but rhymes it successfully, and does so in the
chorus. Even so the most interesting thing about the 12” version is that it
demonstrates the song's thematic connection to Apocalypse Now with a spoken
word sample from Marlon Brando.
Ripped for your pleasure from a 12” single to deviant MP3 @ 320kbps
Shriekback; Nemesis (Arch-Deviant Mix) 12”
A. Nemesis
(Arch-Deviant Mix)
B1. Nemesis
7”
B2. Suck
(Live)

You're welcome João Gil
ReplyDeleteMy intro to Shriekback as well. I still don't know what the song is ABOUT, but it grabbed me like little else ever did. Cheers.
ReplyDelete-Xtm
I don't really understand the Apocalypse Now whisperings of Mr Brando or how they translate in the song, but it still worked for me. Thanks Xtm
DeleteHi, been a reader/downloader of your blog for a while - thank you! Nemesis is a song I first heard on college FM radio back when it was first released. I lived quite a distance from town so had a huge aerial outside and the sound came through with a lot of white noise! Maybe that's what led to my love of abrasive music ;) Anyway, the Arch Deviant Mix is not the version with Brando speaking over it. That is the Extended Version - unless they have been mixed up somewhere along the spine-line ;)
ReplyDeleteCheers for the heads up Dave, I'll get around to posting the 12" Extended mix soon enough
DeleteFind the soundtrack of "MANHUNTER" : many songs of the band and very fine for the dark situations
ReplyDeleteDownloading the soundtrack as I type, Thanks
DeleteIf I remember correctly (and you may have mentioned this elsewhere), the 'shrill backing vocals' were provided by a computer generated voice that sang octaves above the main vocals but still harmonized.
ReplyDeleteThat seemed kind of new and interesting at the time, I guess (wheeze).