Saturday, 4 May 2019

Silence Yourself


Plenty of bands have resuscitated post-punk throughout the 2000s and 2010s, but few have done so with the passion that reverberates through Savages' debut album, Silence Yourself. The band's early singles drew favourable comparisons to Patti Smith, Siouxsie Sioux, and a host of other strong female acts with post-punk roots, and the entire album burns with the same kind of confrontational fire those older artists had, which somewhat paradoxically, makes Savages sound particularly refreshing compared to many of their more blasé contemporaries. Yet Silence Yourself is also an emphatic declaration of independence that is reflected in the band's approach to making music (they paid to make it with their own money and splashed their manifesto on the cover) as well as in the actual music. Since Sleater-Kinney's dissolution, powerful all-female bands have been few and far between in indie rock and there's nothing wispy, precious, or coy about Savages on these songs. Their music is pointedly undecorated, particularly on tracks like "No Face," a searing three-and-a-half-minute showcase for what they do: singer Jehnny Beth leads the charge with her furious wail, and Ayse Hassan, Fay Milton, and Gemma Thompson do their best to keep up with her. Beth may be the band's lightning rod, but she's also a fairly versatile and evocative singer, moving from the feral, taunting "Husbands" to the ultra-gothy swoon of the closing torch song "Marshal Dear." At this point in their career, there's no escaping that Savages' music owes a significant debt to their foremothers, but Silence Yourself is more than just a collection of touchstones and footnotes. Beth and crew have a riveting presence that makes each track magnetic, and more than a few songs here hint at how wide their musical scope actually is: "Strife" swaggers along at a self-assured pace, and follows the album's poppiest chorus with doom-laden chords suggesting that Savages may be (not so) secret metalheads, while "Hit Me"'s breakneck pace nods to hardcore. Even their more traditionally post-punk tracks like "She Will" reflect a viewpoint (regarding the wilder parts of female sexuality in this case) that is unique. Given that much of the initial buzz about the band revolved around their electrifying live performances, in some ways Silence Yourself doesn't provide the full Savages experience, but it offers more than enough to make it a powerful debut that suggests they'll become an even more distinctive force to be reckoned with over time.



Ripped from the original CD release to FLAC

Savages; Silence Yourself

1.      Shut Up
2.      I Am Here
3.      City’s Full
4.      Strife
5.      Waiting For A Sign
6.      Dead Nature
7.      She Will
8.      No Face
9.      Hit Me
10.   Husbands
11.   Marshal Dear


 


23 comments:

  1. I have seen some live clips of this band over recent years,
    they seemed quite good. Looking forward to hearing more.
    I will send you a few albums in the near future of some
    post 2000 bands I have enjoyed/discovered that are worth
    a listen. Have a good weekend. - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Timebender I look forward to listening to your selection

      Delete
  2. Here are a few post 2000 Bands/Albums that I like, give em' a listen when
    you have some time if you haven't already heard them. Just a little token
    of appreciation for all you share at your fine blog AJ. The Nac/Hut album
    may be a bit harsh/experimental for some, not too extreme though.

    MOTORAMA - Alps - 2010 (Russia) Indie/Post/Wave

    https://www24.zippyshare.com/v/0dh1UuDj/file.html

    NAC/HUT REPORT - Angel-like Contraction Reverse - 2013 (Poland) Noise/Electro

    https://www110.zippyshare.com/v/GfOCOS2f/file.html

    DIGITAL LEATHER - Modern Problems - 2012 (USA) Indie/Lo-Fi/Electro

    https://www55.zippyshare.com/v/tnUe1fwx/file.html

    I will keep the links up for a week in case your followers are interested.
    Hopefully zippyshare is not a problem for too many, Enjoy!

    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for these three albums Timebender. I liked Motorama, I wasn't that taken with Digital Leather, but I loved Nac/Hut Report.. Angel-like has been played a few times now.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome AJ, I had a feeling you might of liked
      Nac/Hut Report. Seeing that you like bands such as Hula
      and Skinny Puppy I figured they wouldn't be too over the top
      for you, and the female vocals kinda smoothes things out.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    3. I have more Nac/Hut Report if interested, let me know
      if so. Timebender

      Delete
    4. Interested...and letting you know

      Delete
    5. Here you are AJ, full lengths are @320, EP & Singles lower rates unfortunately.

      https://www76.zippyshare.com/v/4u18ddMr/file.html

      - Timebender

      Delete
    6. Thanks again Timebender. I'll investigate these treasures over the next couple of evenings

      Delete
    7. You're most welcome AJ, I forgot to mention
      I enjoyed Savages, as I expected.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    8. They are quite a force of nature, a bit like putting your hand into a bag of spiders

      Delete
  3. @Timebender: thanks for Digital Leather, I'm falling in love with their crunchy guitar tone & crazy hooks!
    Motorama are between my faces from day 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Fabio, as soon as I gather few more tracks
      from Digital Leather I will assemble a comp and share over
      at the zone. Keep an eye out.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    2. Surely waiting for yr comp!
      Thanks.

      Delete
    3. Fabio, I just finished a Digital Leather comp last night. It
      basically consists of cherry- picked songs from each release
      I have to date. When I obtain their complete discography
      at high quality, I will compile a more extensive set to
      include with my ongoing 'series' I share @TwilightZone.
      In the meanwhile, this one will have to hold us over.
      Reply that you read this and I will post a link for you.

      AJ, if you don't mind could you steer Fabio to this message
      for me please and thanks if he pops in to your more recent posts.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    4. Digital Leather Comp.

      https://www72.zippyshare.com/v/WNzY0Ttj/file.html

      - Timebender

      Delete
  4. Thanksss!
    I'm Really awaiting to go home and listen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTF. Gives me 403 Forbidden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has zippy been causing you any problems from your location
    or just now? A lot of blogs have been giving instruction
    on how to get around the issue with free browser VPN.
    We'll figure something out so you get a copy of the comp.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had problems w Zippy!
    I've tried with porn-mode chrome: Nada!
    But I'm on phone... Tomorrow I try from PC at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downloaded with Opera VPN!
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, glad you got it, enjoy!
      - Timebender

      Delete
    3. Really in love even with the synth parts of Digital Leather... They know how to build a Song! Sorta of Jesus and Mary chain meets Devi meets Pixies.. Hell I must burn a CD for the car.

      Delete