The Photos were a young punk band from Evesham,
Worcestershire, originally called Satan's Rats featuring Steve Eagles on
guitar, Dave Sparrow on bass, and Olly Harrison on drums, but when they
recruited a good-looking female vocalist going by the name of Wendy Wu in 1979,
they changed their name to the media-friendly Photos and recorded and released
an album of new wave pop that unfortunately, despite the band's denial, sounded
almost identical to the music of Blondie from the era of their first two
albums, Blondie and Plastic Letters. Prior to the debut album, a four-track EP
was released featuring the tracks "Irene," which was later to become
the band's only hit single, albeit peaking at a miserable number 56, and
"Barbarellas," about the closing of a local nightclub. The original
vinyl and cassette album was just 12 tracks, but when finally transferred to CD
in the late '90s, they added an additional 8 tracks from the Blackmail Tapes
sessions that were never originally released and then later still Cherry Red
added 3 tracks from Satan’s Rats debut single. The Photos included the singles
"Irene" and "Do You Have Fun," which they were due to
perform on Top of the Pops before an industrial dispute took the show off the
air. Most of the tracks were bouncy new wave pop, although the pace slowed down
on the track "Friends," which, unusually, was over four minutes long,
and they attempt a reggae beat similar to many Police tracks on "Loss of
Contact" and "She's Artistic." The album ended with the soulful Dusty
Springfield classic "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself." The
album hit number four in 1980, and for a brief while, Wu's face was regularly
in the music press, but Blondie had already moved on, away from the new wave
scene, having conquered the world with Parallel Lines, while the Photos' second
album, Crystal Tips and Mighty Mice, was recorded but never released at the
time. Incidentally, this Wendy Wu had absolutely nothing to do with the actress
Brenda Song playing a character of the same name in the Disney TV movie
Homecoming Warrior.
Stripped, dipped and ripped from the 2007 reissue to
never knowingly undersold FLAC
The Photos; The Photos
1. Do
You Have Fun
2. Irene
3. Barbarellas
4. Now
You Tell Me That We’re Through
5. Look
At The Band
6. Friends
7. Loss
Of Contact
8. She’s
Artistic
9. All
I Want
10. Maxine
11. Evelyn
2
12. I
Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
13. Last
Time
14. With
Honours
15. Sex
Object
16. Lady
Is A Tramp
17. Do
You Wanna Dance
18. Skateboard
19. Evelyn
20. I
Saw Her Standing There
21. I’m
So Attractive
22. Guitar
Hero
23. Je
T’aime

I agree with anonymous -- thank you. Had the original lp on 128kbps files before this. This is better!
ReplyDeleteThanks Anon
DeleteYou're welcome
ReplyDeleteAs I own a copy I can testify The Blackmail Tapes was included in some versions of the original 1980 vinyl release,
ReplyDelete