Wednesday, 16 October 2019

Magnets

David Fenton was obviously growing tired of being written off as lightweight after "Turning Japanese" and responded with the more ambitious and mature Magnets. Here he explores the darker side of life; discussing the Kennedy assassination ("Magnets"), police harassment ("Civic Hall") and even cult leader/mass murder Rev. Jim Jones ("Jimmy Jones," the failed single). Musically the band is more sophisticated, taking the occasional misstep in the arrangements by adding an annoying synthesizer in songs like "Spiders." Virtually ignored by both critics and the buying public, this is a strong follow-up that deserved a better fate.


Ripped from a underplayed, overlooked and slightly expanded CD to MP3 @ 320kbps

The Vapors; Magnets

1.      Jimmie Jones
2.      Spiders
3.      Isolated Case
4.      Civic Hall
5.      Live At The Marquee
6.      Daylight Titans
7.      Johnny’s In Love Again
8.      Can’t Talk Anymore
9.      Lenina
10.   Silver Machines
11.   Magnets
12.   Galleries For Guns
13.   Jimmie Jones (Single Version)
14.   Daylight Titans (Single Version)

You'll find their debut album here
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for this.

    Glad to see someone appreciated David Fenton. I have both the Vapors albums on vinyl. At the time, I thought they were a bit faddish (like most people). But over 30 years has gone by and I still listen, so that says something. This one I remember because I really loved "Civic Hall." Nice to have it digitally, so again thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very underrated band. It's a shame there were only two albums.

    Hey what happened to that Robotic Power Pop post. I saw it on a few other blogs, but it never showed up here. Don't know what that was, but the description sure looked interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes two, or maybe three, albums is all you need. Further recordings never live up to the expectations of those first youthful expressions.

      The Robotic Power Pop is coming, I just fucked up the schedule

      Delete