Themes From Great Cities

It might have come to your attention that I'm not a regular poster of love and understanding, which you will just have to get used to. I will however, have bursts of creativity where I move completely randomly from post to post with no rhyme or reason. I have recently posted a few singles (7 & 12”) and the odd bootleg which have been received very well by all who visit. More of the same will continue as you, dear readers, seem to be enjoying them.

Some of the rips are my own, but many more are from other blogs and I’m just sharing the wealth. If other bloggers out there wish to share the rips from my posts, please as I do, host them yourself. To combat this, the FLAC files that are over 6 months old will be replaced with MP3 files.

Finally I am happy to re-up old posts where the link has expired. Please comment in the relevant posts comments box.

Tuesday

VAGUELY HUMAN

Travelling home from work today, I caught myself thinking about Flesh For Lulu and more importantly sharing more of their long forgotten classics.



Underneath the black clothes and eyeliner
 
Flesh For Lulu were no more nor less than a pop/rock band, forever cursed by their post-punk past. Born a decade too late, the group were condemned to the corners of the indie scene and the edges of the U.S. charts. In 1985, following on from their released from Polydor, the band signed to Hybrid Records and released the mini LP, Blue Sisters Swing, which was produced with Craig Leon. The cover image of two nuns kissing resulted in the mini-album being banned in the United States and Europe. Flesh For Lulu then joined Statik records, who released Big Fun City later that year. Virtually neglected by the American rock masses that were their natural audience, the British indie kids took them to heart, but Big Fun City deserved so much more than that. Having shaken off their cobwebs on Blue Sisters Swing, The Lulu’s came to NYC (thus the new album's title) to record with producer Craig Leon. A less sympathetic producer would have destroyed this record, either by foisting a thoroughly '80s slickness into the mix, or lazily permitting the group's retro sound to run rampant. Instead, Leon respected the group's vision, creating a modern album that remains a tribute to rock's rich past. A motherlode of riffs are the song's sturdy foundation blocks, mostly mined from a rich R&B vein. The Rolling Stones are an obvious influence, although The Lulu’s never plunder directly, instead creating the best riffs Keith Richards never played. Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground also played a major role in the members' youths. Thus the band touches all the major rock roots before tossing them into their own indie blender. There again, even the Velvets in their heyday would have thought twice about recording "Death Shall Come," a brilliant piece of experimental foreboding that slithers slide guitar against a booming beat, drops surrealistic sound effects into the mix, then shrouds it all in an ominous atmosphere. On the other end of the spectrum were perfect pop rockers like "Baby Hurricane" (a British Top Ten indie hit); the boisterous "Seven Hail Marys" and "Vaguely Human" both slamming rock riffs and anthemic choruses into punk frenzy; and more sedate, but equally upbeat numbers like "Let Go," which showcases some of the guitarists' best work. The rhythm section's own proficiency is evident throughout, pulling off rock-solid, but never tiresome, rhythms regardless of tempo or genre, as impressive on the softer, slower numbers as the pounding rockers, while anchoring the more experimental numbers. Perhaps The Lulu’s were just too adventurous for the rock community, too willing to take chances, too energetic, too pop, and too different. Too bad for the rockers missing out on such a classic record. This CD release also includes the Blue Sisters Swing mini-album as an added incentive.



Fielding more of the Lulu’s legendary 12” single B’ Sides as a bonus to the CD and then two 12” singles to further enhance this little package


Track List
Big Fun City/Blue Sisters Swing
01. Baby Hurricane
02. Cat Burglar
03. Let Go
04. Vaguely Human
05. Rent Boy
06. Golden Handshake Girl
07. In Your Smile
08. Blue
09. Laundromat
10. Just One Second
11. Seven Hail Marys
12. Death Shall Come
13. I May Have Said You’re Beautiful But You Know I’m Just A Liar
14. Who’s In Danger
15. Black Tattoo
16. Anti-Social (Bonus Track)
17. 1970 (Feel Alright) [Live] (Bonus Track)

Restless 12”
A. Restless (Full Version)
B. Cat Burglar (Full Version)

Idol 12”
A1. Idol
A2. Life Of Crime
B1. Sleeping Dogs
B2. Spaceball Ricochet


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for all these, just re-ripped my own copy of Big Fun City/Blue Sisters but my versions of the 12s were ripped back in 1996 from vinyl, so these are a welcome sight. I've got the Superfecta release of New Flesh if you are in need of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing Stevo as I don't have New Flesh. Many Thanks

      Delete
  2. Flac or 320?
    I haven't scanned the covers though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to correct myself, I thought I had the Superfecta version, but I only have the Beggars Banquet re-issue, BBL82cd. http://www.discogs.com/Flesh-For-Lulu-Long-Life-The-New-Flesh/release/3271005
    Don't know why I had convinced myself I had that version, and more importantly I don't know why I haven't that version! I certainly bought the Thompson Twins Superfecta release.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK Stevo. I have an MP3 version of the US (Capitol Records) Long Live The New Flesh that starts with I Go Crazy plus a bootleg CD compilation of 12" singles, which in effect fills all the gaps of the Superfecta release bonus tracks. If you could still upload the FLAC version of the UK release New Flesh I'll still be eternally happy.

      Delete
  4. http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/GcRSpyvv/file.html Part 1
    http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/3Oj1BBDg/file.html Part 2
    There are a few extras there, the 2 tracks from the Subterraneans double pack, a mix of Idol that is very different & Final Vinyl album

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Thanks for the inclusion of my FFL IDOL rip...I was curious if it was my work...or perhaps it's just the art?! Also, thanks to Stevo for the additional material! Nice to visit your blog again...a good read for certain. (Rob)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Thanks for the inclusion of my FFL IDOL rip...I was curious if it was my work...or perhaps it's just the art?! Also, thanks to Stevo for the additional material! Nice to visit your blog again...a good read for certain. (Rob)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers for the rip if the double pack, the one thing of theirs I never got.

    ReplyDelete