Themes From Great Cities

It might have come to your attention that I'm not a regular poster of love and understanding, which you will just have to get used to. I will however, have bursts of creativity where I move completely randomly from post to post with no rhyme or reason. I have recently posted a few singles (7 & 12”) and the odd bootleg which have been received very well by all who visit. More of the same will continue as you, dear readers, seem to be enjoying them.

Some of the rips are my own, but many more are from other blogs and I’m just sharing the wealth. If other bloggers out there wish to share the rips from my posts, please as I do, host them yourself. To combat this, the FLAC files that are over 6 months old will be replaced with MP3 files.

Finally I am happy to re-up old posts where the link has expired. Please comment in the relevant posts comments box.

Monday

RESTLESS



For so long a discordant gale of noise…

Nick Marsh, singer and guitarist for the band Flesh For Lulu, died Friday 5th June 2015 after battling cancer. He was 53. Nick formed the band Flesh For Lulu in the early 80's with drummer James Mitchell. The two recruited former Wasted Youth guitarist Rocco and bassist Glen Bishop and, in 1983, they signed with Polydor Records and released the quite remarkable Roman Candle EP. For the first time, their influences (Iggy, Lou and Bowie on a daytrip to Glamland) emerged a vibrant brew of textured, dramatic Day-Glo beauty, and even their foes were suddenly looking forward to their début album, if only to discover whether it was all a ghastly fluke.
It wasn't.
Ignore the cover (which is hideous by anybody's standards) and make straight for the opening salvo of "Restless." Marred only by an implausibly obtrusive girlie chorus, "Restless" introduced a Furs-meet-Spector Wall of Sound that doesn't let up, even when the Lulus dip into the horror show hoedown of side two's epic closer, "Heavy Angel." The trip en route, meanwhile, is spellbinding: "Hyena," an incredible cover of the Stones' "Jigsaw Puzzle Girl," the raucously mesmerizing "Brainburst" and, best of all, "Subterraneans" -- still one of the all time great rock & roll street anthems. Looking back on Flesh For Lulu from a distance of 30 plus years, it's easy to see why the British weekly Melody Maker once proclaimed its makers as "[possibly] the most important band we've got." It wasn't the most fashionable thing to say, and the Lulus themselves did their best to dismantle such praise when they started chasing the Yankee dollar. For a year or two after the release of this album, though, there was a lot of truth in that declaration, and the début album Flesh For Lulu still wears its scars proudly.


After releasing the EP Roman Candle (1983) and full album Flesh For Lulu (1984), they were dropped by Polydor Records

Ripped from a vinyl album and 2 x 12” singles to MP3 @ 320kbps

Track List
1.       Restless
2.       Dog Dog Dog
3.       Hyena
4.       Coming Down
5.       Jigsaw Puzzle
6.       Subterraneans
7.       Brainburst
8.       Peace And Love
9.       So Strong
10.   Heavy Angel




Roman Candle 12” EP
Track List
1.       Roman Candle
2.       Coming Down
3.       Lame Train
4.       The Power Of Suggestion




Subterraneans (Metro Mix) 12”
1.       Subterraneans (Metro Mix)
2.       Why Me?
3.       Gurl At The Bar


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing these, my cassette of the album has long since perished. If anything, I think the Metro Mix of Subterraneans tops the album version and it's remained one of my favourite 12" singles (though Idol is perhaps a slight notch above). However, the real gem here is the Roman Candle EP as I've never been able to get hold of this before. Thanks so much Andie... and Flesh For Lulu... and especially Nick Marsh, RIP. Cheers, Khayem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment Khayem, and I agree that the Metro Mix is better than the album version of Subterraneans, which is why I added it to the post. I also have to say that the 12" of Roman Candle really needed to be added to give the complete picture of the Lulu's early work.

      Delete
  2. I remember the heady days of 1985, I was just 17 & starting to go to gigs. I went to see these at Coventry Lanchester Polytechnic in May of that year. The gig was absolutely manic, I got slamdanced so hard I ended up on stage, on top of Rocco's guitar pedals, still one of the best gigs I have ever been to (The best was Flesh too, at a Working mens club in Nuneaton of all places, a fan club gig to debut Del 'Strangefish' Greening on keys & guitar. Words can't do that gig justice, so I won't..)
    I was thinking I ought to re-rip my Flesh vinyl, but you have saved me some time! I loved & listened to all of these many times over in the Eighties, rediscovering them back in 1996 when I got my first cd recorder & ripped all my vinyl to disc.
    Jigsaw puzzle is my favourite of the album, made me seek out the Stones' original, which is the least a good cover version should achieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stevo the Lulu's were possibly at their best in and around '85 with my favourite song "I May Have Said You're Beautiful But You Know I'm Just A Liar" from the Blue Sisters Swing EP/Mini Album...heady days. There will be more posts like this in the coming months, as I rummage through over 35 years of buying music.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing these releases. I have the Subterraneans 12'er, but not the S/T or Roman candle EP. All good and more folders in my FFL file!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these releases. I have the Subterraneans 12'er, but not the S/T or Roman candle EP. All good and more folders in my FFL file!

    ReplyDelete